Dan Istvanik submitted an event element you can use for your next activity. He’s setup quite a diverse list of possibilities. Here are the instructions straight from his keyboard to you.
– Wiffle ball bat or Fat Bat
– 4 baseball bases or something you can use as bases
– A wide variety of ball replacements (*see list below)
– A container (box,bag..) to keep all the replacement “balls” secret
Very simple rules and idea. You are going to be playing a wacky game of wiffleball/baseball using a variety of items as replacements for the ball. Same basic rules as wiffle ball including that you can throw the “ball” and hit someone to get them out. Two addition to the rules that we add is: 1.) you can have as many people on a base at a time as you like, but only one person can run to the next base at a time. It keeps it from being one massive herd of people running at a time. 2.) There are no strike outs. Determine for your group and game where and what is a home run, if you would like. If you are inside use the back wall as a home run or if you are outside mark a line somehow.
Keep all the replacement balls secret in a container by the pitcher, so that the batter never knows what is being pitched until it come flying!
As always like any good backyard or youth group version of wiffeball make up whatever “house rules” you like for your group to add to the fun. Change things each time your play or each inning. Like: “this inning you have to run the base in reverse”, “you have to skip around the bases”, etc…
Wacky Wiffle Balls:
– Other kinds of balls: beach ball, football, dodgeball, superball, any kind of nerf ball
– Small Toys: Beany Babies Stuffed animals, Barbies, Action Figures, …
– Fruit: apples, oranges, apples, kiwis, cherries… banana?
– Vegetables: potatoes, onions, cucumbers,…tomato?
– Balled up clothes items: socks, underwear… (*use a rubber band to keep in a ball)
– Candy: skittles, gummy worms, Hershey kisses, gum balls,…. (* try to avoid anything with a stick)
– Random or Gross Items: hot dogs, Vienna sausages, a full chunk of spam, picked beets, ball of mozzarella,…
That is just a quick list of suggestions. Let your imagination run as wild as you want your game to get!! Enjoy! Would love to hear what items you used and how it went with your group!!