SwissMiss posted up this video from growingleaders.com. The video is a book promoting piece of typical communication mistakes that every presenter makes. I enjoyed watching it and it brought out some underlying themes for how to and how not to communicate to an audience.
1. Be prepared and don’t hide behind your talk.
2. Avoid stating the obvious or telling people what you will do next. Just do it.
3. Avoid polarizing and risky attempts to maintain attention.
4. Interruptions are a reflection on you. Own it.
5. Focus on the story and not your props.
6. Do your cultural homework.
7. If you have to stop to convince people they need to know what you’re saying, you’ve already lost.
Speak publicly in the same way you would face to face. Your audience needs to connect with a real person and not your alter speaking ego.
8. Land the plane. Don’t circle around the conclusion over and over again. Learn to end it and walk away.
9. Don’t look for affirmation or fish for compliments. Be content in knowing you prepared, stayed focused, and followed the progression.