BUM SHUFFLE

Wes Briscoe has a game he loves to play and even though I have seen this game before I’m reminded of the fact that I have never played it. I got to try this out this weekend. Bum Shuffle can be played with a large group or mid sized group. Here are the words straight from Wes.

Have a circle of chairs facing inwards and students in the chairs. One student will spin in the center of the circle with their eyes closed for 5 seconds. On the start they try to sit down in the one open chair. Everyone else sitting in the chairs will shuffle over continuing to move the vacant spot around leaving the person in the middle frantic to find the open spot.

The people already sitting down can only defend the open spot by shuffling their bum. No hands or pushing is allowed. They can shuffle back and forth and in any direction. The shuffle typically moves fast.

Once the person in the middle finally gets to sit down, the person to the right is picked to be in the middle. This is our groups favorite game that we play and we break at least one metal chair every time we play!

In the future, leave two open chairs for a modified game. You can also do a lesson on accepting new people to the group or welcoming visitors and how we treat them.

We would love for you to share a game as well. If you have one you can post using the links below. Have fun. Games help students with community and get their energy out.

image adapted via creative commons

Submit a game to the Stash.

Join our Facebook fanpage.

Advertise for your blog, resource, or site on the Stash. View Ad-units & Prices.

Tags: ,

6 Responses to “BUM SHUFFLE”

1. tom January 27, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

we call this “shuffle your bum”. and its not wise to play on any light weight chair. the first nite we played this we lost 7 chairs in the effort…and have another 10 that are pretty well racked. but yep…great game.

2. chadswanzy January 27, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

Part of being a leader is modeling for your kids biblical confession… use “I” not we when trying to take ownership ;)

3. Stu February 23, 2011 at 3:44 pm #

I think you might be taking tom’s words out context…I don’t think he is blaming his kids, just trying to provide a little advice for possible partakers of the game…I’m not sure a rebuke is necessary, and you kind of come across as a bit snarky with the emoticon…

4. chadswanzy February 23, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

Hey Stu… Tom and I are friends… it’s a joke… the emoticon is a sincere wink as in ha ha! I am insinuating that he broke the chair not the kids and he’s using the kids as a cover up. Does this make sense?

5. Stu February 23, 2011 at 5:25 pm #

As I said in the e-mail…I just totally read this one wrong…I get it…and as I said in my e-mail, I love this site…we’ve tried a number of the games to varying degrees of success…I think “Baby, Bronco, Backpack” may be our favorite so far.

Also, we call it “shuffle your buns” out west (California, Washington). It’s funny how many of us play these games in some different variation with different names…I’m getting by the way that you think i’m old from having to explain the joke! I’m still in my 20s! for a few more months anyways:) Wow…there’s an emoticon for ya!

Stu

6. Cristina. C. February 14, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

Loved the game! It can get a little intense at times, but the kids had a blast!