WHAT WAS YOUR YOUTH ACTIVITY NIGHTMARE?

YOUTH LEADER NIGHTMARE ACTIVITY CONTEST

Alright Stash readers, youth leaders, librarians, teachers, or volunteers it’s time to share your pain and maybe even profit a bit from it.

Over the next two weeks we’re running a contest of your unintentional tricks and cataclysmic events for a reward on our treat. It’s pretty simple to enter. Simply share with us in the comments below a time from your vocational life where an event or youth activity went south or completely collapsed on you. It can be something that happened along the way, during the event, or after the fact. It’s hard to share pain and regret but if it’s got a little humor to it maybe we can at least laugh with you. If were not laughing with you it probably means were learning from it.

Keep it short. Post it below in the comments. In two weeks we will have a playoff voting system for the winner.

What’s at stake for your effort? A $25 Amazon.com giftcard.

In the meanwhile here’s an activity idea you do not ever want to do. Enjoy.

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “WHAT WAS YOUR YOUTH ACTIVITY NIGHTMARE?”

1. YPClayConry September 27, 2010 at 10:50 am #

I was playing head to foot (a game where same sex pairs put body parts together and the last couple with the two body parts yelled out touching are out.) and decided (at the suggestion of a home schooler) to finish off with tongue to ear.

Well a home school mom tracked me down at church the following Sunday and told me that I had desensitized here child to sex! Fail!

2. chadswanzy September 27, 2010 at 11:03 am #

Awesome bro.

3. Joe Puentes September 27, 2010 at 2:25 pm #

Three years ago I began a new ministry at a church. And that October, I was told by one of my fellow student pastors that going to the local corn maze was a really cool event to take students too, and that he had done it the year before (did I mention I was new to the church & area). After getting all the logistics from him, it seemed appropriate to take about 10 youth coaches and 60 middle school students to this event.

He told me that this would be manageable, because at the time we were going hardly anyone went at that time. When he told about 200 people would be at this place, he actually meant over 2,000 people would be there. Upon arriving and after a brief panic attack, We gathered all the youth coaches together found our meeting/lost kid spot, went over the rules and etc… And then it went downhill from there…

In all of my 15 years of student ministry, this was a FIRST in the category of lost/missing students, broken bones (which the girl did not tell us until days later that she was hurt), upset youth coaches, van breaking down, parents waiting for two hours to pick up there kids at the church, and more (did I mention I was new to the church & area).

4. chadswanzy September 27, 2010 at 2:36 pm #

corn maze disaster!

5. Brian October 1, 2010 at 6:05 am #

Every year we go to a popular amusement park Cedar Point. We travel a couple of hours to get there on a very expensive toll road. On the way home unfortunately the church van broke down. We contacted the parents telling of the situation, and none of them wanted to travel the 2 + hours and pay the toll to come get us it being almost midnight. One the sponsors thought it if we bought a battery it might get us just the battery so he left to a 24 hour supermarket and bought a battery. Lucky that was the problem, but we didn’t get the kids home until 5 am, we were supposed to be home at midnight.

6. chadswanzy October 1, 2010 at 6:30 am #

Dude… not coming to get the kids is weak sauce. That’s hard to absorb. Way to hang in there.

7. YPClayConry October 26, 2010 at 9:49 am #

Did someone win this?

Just checkin.

8. chadswanzy October 26, 2010 at 9:52 am #

Not yet.. I slothed my way thru many things this month. I’m putting the name sin a hat and having my five year old draw today. Forgive me. Hope you win.